CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 21, 2008

High Heels: Friend or Foe?

Ah, shoes. How I love thee. Those of you who know me well know that (cheap) shoes and purses are my weaknesses. I love purses more, but shoes are a close second. I am sure it is because no matter what, they both always fit.


When I was teaching, I never wore high heels much. I was on my feet too much to wear them everyday. Instead I would wear them to dinner, to church, to a movie. I have never been a big spender when it comes to shoes or purses, which is why I have a lot of both. I learned the hard way not to spend too much on something trendy, as it will probably be out of style by the next season. I usually stick to shoes and purses that are on sale from Target, Kohl's, and TJ Maxx. I also go through my shoes and purses several times a year and donate the ones I no longer use to Goodwill.

I actually have a notebook in my closet that says, "Some people live to work. Others work to live. I work to expand my shoe collection." 'Tis true. I clean my parents' house as well as their friends' house just to have some extra cash-ola for my shoe (and purse) collection!

Holly and I have often dreamed about buying a pair of Manolos and splitting the cost, as we wear the same size shoe. However, this is just a dream. Even if I won the lottery I don't know if I could spend that much on one pair of shoes, especially now that I am not teaching. After all, there is no way I would clean a house in Manolos! I did, however, buy a print of his designs off of Ebay. This is the closest I will come to ever owning Manolos:

Remember when Carrie registered for Manolos while her friends were registering for baby gifts? I kind of wish I could have registered for those as WELL as the stroller, crib, etc. EVERY new mama should be rewarded with nice shoes, don't you think?

Anyways, as you all know I hurt my back in May. The cause? High heels (so my chiropractor says). Yes, heels. I finally broke down and wore a pair of heels to a wedding on Saturday (for about 20 minutes) but only put them on once we got there and took them off immediately after the wedding. It was SO nice to finally wear them again. However, my days of wearing them for 10 hours straight are over, I'm afraid. I just can't risk getting hurt again- especially when it has taken nearly two months to get better. I will keep my heels but only pull them out when I know I won't have to wear them for a long period of time. Most of the time it will be flips and flats for me.

Purses, on the other hand, are still just fine. Yes, I will definitely stick to purses.

At least for now.


p.s. For those of you thrifty shoppers who still like to be trendy, my friend Jessica told me about a site called Sam Moon. They have cute purses, wallets, and jewelry and their prices are reasonable! Do you know of any other good, cheap sites?

5 comments:

Aunt H said...

LOVE Piperlime, but it ain't cheap. ;-) I also realllly love Target's shoes.

Dr. G. ordered me to wear flats, too. Well, he said I could wear heels, but I'd have to stretch my calves 12 times a day to make up for it. So, I'm opting for flats.

Don't give up on the Manolos!

IUgirl78 said...

You are too funny!!! I used to be a high heel girl, too. I felt it made up for my "freakishly short legs" that I have. I couldn't wear anything flat, and now I'm paying for it with my plantar faciitis in my foot!!! Augh! The sacrifices we make to look good!

La Belle Vie said...

I used to wear heels, too, but gave them up for the most part. Now it is challenging to wear a 2 inch heel.

Anonymous said...

Heels are definite foe.

I blew my knee out about a year and a half ago and had a couple surgeries. Anyway, my doctor will not allow me to wear high heels until I am capable of running again. And his reply on when I can run again? "Potentially Never". He said heels are simply that damaging to your body.

Good thing flats have been in style lately!!

(and speaking of purses. I am beyond obsessed.)

sweetsandsweats

carla said...

foe.

but Im old :)

I say wedge all the way.

MizFit